Welcome!

    

    Hi! My name is Esha Bolar, and I am the initiative's founder. I'm glad you decided to follow us on this journey! 

    First, I'd like to give a little background on this project. In the summer of 2021, I began volunteering at the Saint Paul's Church pantry garden, where I met our mentor Valerie Nichols. She told me about how the garden would be discontinued, but then the Covid-19 pandemic hit, and the need for fresh produce was greater than ever at our Johnston food pantry. So with the help of a few other church members, she kept the garden running. 

    I was inspired after hearing this story. I found myself coming back to the garden throughout the summer 1, 2, 3, 4 times a week. I also volunteered at the food pantry, so I saw the fruits of the Church's hard work as community members made a beeline for the fresh produce-- but help was dwindling. As the school year began, I asked if Johnston High School (JHS) could take a bigger role in keeping the garden thriving. Valerie and the Church said yes, and now the JHS National Honor Society has a committee dedicated to this very garden. We keep learning new things with Valerie and the other senior members, and we're excited to share our knowledge with you all! 

    We decided to call this the "Green Pantry Project" because we use no chemicals in our garden, and 100% of harvests go to the Johnston Food Pantry. We keep trying to find greener ways to help the garden and our community thrive. Contact us to get involved, and I hope you continue to support our efforts!

Comments

Popular Posts